When Can a Baby Start Solid Foods?

For the first 6 months, my baby was entirely dependent on milk.  Actually, I  breastfed her mixed with formula feeding


From 6 months onwards, I  started giving her solid foods. At first, she did not like the taste,  and what was fun about it, she made a face every time I  spoon-fed her. However, eventually,  she got used to the taste and texture of the food.

Signs that she is ready to take solid 

  • During our mealtime, I noticed that she was so curious about what we were eating by looking at our spoon or fork as it traveled from our plate to our mouth.
  •  She liked to taste the food whenever I gave her a little amount.

The feeding recommendations for babies

The feeding recommendations for babies are the following: excerpt thru "Early Childhood Care and Development (ECCD).

Six months up to 12 months - Breastfeed as often as the child wants. In addition to frequent breastfeeds, give the child who is:

  • 6 months old, 2-3 tablespoons of thick porridge with well-mashed foods 2x a day
  • 7-8 months old, 2/3 cup of mashed family foods, 3x a day
  • 9-11 months old, 3/4 cup finely chopped or mashed family foods plus 1 snack

Twelve months up to 2 years
Breastfeed as often as the child wants. In addition to frequent breastfeeds, give a child:

  • a cupful of family foods, chopped or mashed in 3 meals plus 2 snacks
  • foods may include animal sources such as meat, fish, eggs, beans, nuts, and dark green and orange-colored fruits and vegetables.

Two years and older

Breastfeeding for 2 years of age or longer helps a child grow healthy and strong.
A growing child needs 3 meals and 2 snacks. Give a variety of foods every day.

What kind of solid foods I give to my baby?

Aside from Cerelac, an instant food for baby, I prepared mashed potato and mashed squash. I also gave her finely chopped vegetables mixed in porridge and fruits such as papaya, banana, mango, and apple.

In addition to solid foods, I also gave her other food supplements like Cherifer and Pedzinc which was recommended by my pediatrician.


Disclaimer: The information shared on this site is based on my personal experience. The health condition and nutritional needs of a baby differ from other babies, therefore,  it should not be considered medical advice. Always consult your baby's pediatrician before taking action after reading this blog.

0 comments