Homeschooling Week 2: Developing Fine Motor Skills

Hello everyone! How's your weekend?

After going over the enrichment books I bought a couple weeks ago, I realized that most activities involved require handwriting. Since Chesska has aversion to writing just like any other kids her age, it made me decide not to follow through everything from the Ebook (a Montessori-approached curriculum) that I purchased online.

Last week, I asked my child to trace standing and sleeping lines, but out of 20 she only made 3. Then she refused to continue tracing no matter how I convince her. But I didn't force her. I am child-focused, not subject-focused. But in order to keep her motivated and interested in our homeschooling, I have to change gear, means I need to vary my strategies.  Instead of following the curriculum sequentially, I just picked several activities there that I believe would help develop her fine motor skills. I also borrowed some ideas online which I modified a bit.

Now What are Fine Motor Skills? 

Are you aware that children need to develop first their fine motor skills before they can do writing? These skills are attained when children learn to use their small muscles such as muscles in the fingers to perform small tasks such as lacing, grasping, buttoning, stringing beads, etc. When these skills are fully developed, chances are,  children will have a better pencil grip and hand control when writing.  So mommies, don't get mad or label your child right away lazy when he refuses to write, he might just need to strengthen his fine motor skills.

Today, I am going to share with you what my child did for the entire week involving fine motor activities and will extend these activities until next week if needed. Of course, I couldn't have done this without my husband's help.

Solving Puzzles

Taking the pieces apart and putting them back together again are great ways to use muscles in the hands.






STRINGING BEADS

Of all the activities this week, she finds stringing beads interesting and fun. Concentration and patience have been inculcated on this activity.




MARBLES AND TONG

She picks up marbles and transfers them into a toy pan.  She uses her fine motor muscles to squeeze tong.



SCISSOR PRACTICE

I thought she could do it without a hitch. I just learned that scissor practice is also a foundation of writing. At first, I drew a triangle on cartolina and had her follow it. But I noticed she had difficulty holding the scissor, much less cutting the triangle. But we'll frequently practice scissor skill.


LACING

I made a butterfly out of cartolina and punched holes around it. She laced the yarn through each hole.



OF COURSE, BUILDING BLOCKS


SCOOPING BEANS

She scoops the beans and places them in another plastic container. I let her feel the beans and introduce sensory attributes such as smooth and hard.



That is all for today and thank you for reading!


I would be forever grateful if you help my blog grow by liking my facebook page here. Your single click means a lot to me. Thank you so much.


















0 comments