5 Reasons Why I Chose Virtual Assistant Over Teaching

I used to teach in a private school for over five years. In fact, teaching had been my bread and butter so I devoted my time and energy to this profession. In a span of five years working, I slowly realized that I was no longer happy with it.  It not only drains me physically and mentally, it also takes away much of my time that I'm no longer able to enjoy my weekends and holidays as they are already scheduled for making lesson plans and checking papers.

When I got married, I decided to quit teaching. My husband, who is a web developer, introduced me to online job. He first trained me to create a website from the scratch using only css and html.  I became eager learner my first time. It suddenly occurred to me that this is the kind of work I am passionate about. After two months of training, I bought a domain and built my first website through the WordPress platform, thinking that having a portfolio increases my chance of getting hired. True enough, my portfolio landed me on my first online job which is my job for almost seven years now.  If you would ask me what made me inspire to stay in this job, here they are.


1. Salary is Better than Teaching


For five years in the teaching profession, the highest salary I received was only P11, 000 minus the tax and benefits (SSS, PhilHealth, Pag-Ibig, etc.). But when I got my first online job, I was right away compensated P10, 000, which inspires me to cling on my job. I won't mention now how much the raise after 6 years but I assure you it's higher than a teacher working in the government.


2. I Can Work in the Comfort of My Own Home


Gone are the days when I had to deal with commute and traffic, wake up early to be in school before the time,  get home late and dead tired.  The exact opposite when working at home, I can choose my own hours, work in the comfort of my own home where no one supervises me, and take a rest as soon as I carry out the tasks given to me by my employer.


3. I Can Spend Quality Time with My Family


Working from home allows me to be part of my family's routines. I can play with my 2-year old,  help my older daughter answer her assignments when she gets home from school, and cook my husband's favorite lunch. The amount of time I spent with my family was indeed quality.


4. I Enjoy My Weekends and Holidays


As a former teacher,  I had to sacrifice my weekends and holidays in order to get things done - checking papers, making lesson plans, preparing visual aids, etc.  That's why I salute all the teachers out there who pour out all their time and energy for their students. As much as I want to stay in the world of teaching, my passion is not really into it. Maybe I am not really meant for teaching.


5.  I Can Do Things That I Love


After I left the teaching profession, I have more time blogging, reading books, cooking meals for my family, and traveling. Yay!















0 comments